Looking at securing a long-term career in the Building industry? Your apprenticeship is the start of a professional career
We have a number of positions for enthusiastic people looking to start or continue their painting apprenticeship in the ACT region.
Wage Award: National wage Award
Mode:Full time = 38 hours per week
Period of Apprenticeship: up to 4 Years
Training: Certificate III
By completing your apprenticeship, you will be exposed to all aspects of the painting trade that will give you a solid foundation in your career. Through on and off site training during your apprenticeship, you will learn how to;
- work out the quantity of materials needed for the job by taking surface measurements or by looking at job specifications or drawings
- erect scaffolding and ladders and place dropsheets to protect areas from dripping paint
- remove old paint or paper using sanding, scraping, blowtorches, liquid paint removers and steam strippers as appropriate
- prepare surfaces by fixing woodwork, filling or sealing holes, cracks and joins and washing them down to remove dust and grease
- select and prepare paints to match colours by the addition of tints
- brush, roll or spray the paints, stains, varnishes and other finishes
- A willingness to develop skills and knowledge in this trade
- Physical fitness and the ability to undertake manual labour for extended periods
- Be a safe confident worker
- Willingness to travel
- CI Card (White Card) (or be willing to obtain prior to starting)
- Enjoy practical and manual work
- Ability to follow instructions and communicate effectively
- Minimum of year 10 schooling
A successful candidate will ideally:
- Certificate II/ Pre-App in Building & Construction
- Domestic building experience / exposure to a jobsite
- Be reliable, enthusiastic and willing to work as part of a team.
- Have a car and licence is generally required due to changing sites.
Who are HIA Apprentices?
HIA Apprentices are leaders in the selection, management and training of apprentices in the domestic building industry. Established over 30 years ago, we make it easier for young people to get a trade, and help builders and contractors take them on.
Why HIA Apprentices?
- Award wages paid on time – you just need to submit your timesheet
- Full time opportunity - Immediate start
- Access to a Very Low interest loan of $20,000 to buy tools / car etc.
- Personal Protective Equipment – this is your safety boots, safety glasses, ear muffs – the things that keep you protected whilst working
- Mentoring and ongoing support throughout your apprenticeship
- We take care of everything for you, from the start to the completion of your apprenticeship, so you can concentrate on getting the skills for a very rewarding career that counts.
Please note that we have a huge demand for junior apprentices at the moment (under 21 years of age)